Mechanical Product Engineer
- The Mechanical Product Engineer III will lead the design and engineering development of electro-mechanical products and assemblies for various automotive closure systems.
- Power sliding door actuators, power deck-lid actuators, power lift-gate actuators, power side door actuators and power running board actuators are among the products that will be developed.
- The above electro-mechanical actuators may include motors, clutches, gearboxes, injection molded plastics, powdered metal components, stampings, roll formed components, extrusions and castings.
- The Mechanical Product Engineer III is the lead engineer on the above projects that will be supported by other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, motor and clutch engineers, design engineers, test engineers and software engineers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Begins to mentor other team members as directed by Engineering Manager.
- Supports Product strategy activities as directed by Engineering Manager.
- Responsible for product design, engineering and development of assigned programs.
- Creates and maintains DFMEA.
- Initiates Engineering Change Notices for engineering changes.
- Leads multi-disciplined design reviews on programs assigned.
- Understands, interprets, and applies design solutions based on CAE analysis.
- Maintains BOM on assigned products.
- Writes Engineering Change Orders for engineering changes.
- Coordinates prototype builds on assigned programs, including development of prototype build control plan.
- Works closely with manufacturing engineers and purchasing on component procurement.
- Performs Design Review by Test Result (DRBTR) teardown analysis of passing and failing test parts.
- Performs root cause analysis for test or production issues.
- Monitors individual program status and reports this information to Engineering Manager and Program Manager.
- Represents company in weekly Program Development Team meetings with customer.
- Utilizes the company Program Development Process (PDP) for program implementation.
- Utilizes the company Knowledge Management System (SKMS) for communicating engineering-related program deliverables.
- Reports progress to manager both verbally and in writing as required.
- Generates and implements cost reduction ideas.
- Uses engineering tools and methods to assure design quality, mentors others in there use and learning of these tools.
- Periodic travel to customer, suppliers, other company facilities is required (~10%).
- Leads company initiatives and global teams as required.
- Interfaces with global customers, partners, and suppliers as required.
- Must be able to conceptualize, plan and develop small electro-mechanical devices and mechanisms.
- Must be able to perform strength of material and static force calculations.
- Must have the ability to design springs and perform spring force/stress calculations is required.
- Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Must have mechanical aptitude to work with tools in tearing down product assemblies.
- Must be able to multi-task, plan and organize work efficiently and effectively.
- Must be able to work in a cross functional team and be able to effectively communicate ideas.
- Must be able to present engineering data and progress directly to customers.
- Must be self-sufficient and be able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have experience with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Must have experience with DFMEA, DFM, DFA.
- Must have experience in performing tolerance stacks.
- Must have experience dimensioning and applying tolerances to components and assemblies.
- Must have a working knowledge of GD&T principles.
- Must have experience with design for manufacturability/assembly (mechanisms, metal stampings, plastic injection molded parts, die cast parts, gears etc).
- Must have 3D modeling experience (Pro-E, UG/NX or CATIA V5).
- Must have experience in designing gears and performing gear calculations.
- Must have experience in formal root cause analysis methodology. Red X or 8D is preferred.
- Must have experience in working with CAE analysis team (FEA, ADAMS, Moldflow etc).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BSME or related technical degree is required.
- 5-15 years minimum experience in product development required.
- Previous project leadership required.
- Product design experience of electro-mechanical systems is preferred.