Product Design Engineer
- Responsible for product design and development of assigned latch programs.
- Creates and maintains DFMEA.
- Writes engineering specifications and technical reports.
- Leads multi-disciplined design reviews on programs assigned.
- Understands, interprets, and applies design solutions based on FEA.
- Maintains BOM on assigned products.
- Writes Engineering Change Orders.
- Coordinates prototype builds on assigned programs, including development of prototype build control plan.
- Works closely with manufacturing engineers and purchasing on component procurement.
- Creates Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) for assigned products and assist test lab in associated EE and DV testing.
- Performs Design Review by Test Result (DRBTR) teardown analysis of passing and failing test parts.
- Performs root cause analysis for test or production issues.
- Monitors individual program status and reports this information to Engineering Manager and Program Manager.
- Represents company in weekly Program Development Team meetings with customer.
- Utilizes the company Program Development Process (PDP) for program implementation.
- Utilizes the company Knowledge Management System (SKMS) for communicating engineering-related program deliverables.
- Reports progress to manager in verbally and in writing as required.
- Generates and implements cost reduction ideas.
- Periodic travel to customer, suppliers, and other company facilities is required (~10%).
- Open to consider potential overseas assignments supporting global projects for the company.
- Must be able to conceptualize, plan and develop small electrical/mechanical devices such as automotive latches and seatback latch mechanisms.
- Be able to perform strength of material and static force calculations.
- 3D modeling experience (Pro-E, UG/NX or CATIA).
- Must be able to read engineering prints.
- Should have a working knowledge of GD&T principles. Should have experience dimensioning and applying tolerances.
- Able to perform tolerance stacks.
- Must have mechanical aptitude to work with tools in tearing down product assemblies.
- Must be able to multi-task, plan and organize work.
- Must be able to work in a cross functional team and be able to effectively communicate ideas.
- Must be able to present engineering data and progress directly to customers.
- Must be self-sufficient and be able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Experience with MS Office applications required (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Should have experience in formal root cause analysis methodology. Red X or 8D is preferred.
- Ability to design springs and perform spring force/stress calculations is preferred.
- Experience with Design for manufacturability/assembly (mechanisms, metal stampings, plastic injection molding)
- Experience with FEA preferred.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- BSME, BSIE or related technical degree is required.
- 1-3 years minimum experience in product development required. Engineering co-op experience may be applied.
- Previous project leadership desirable.
- Business knowledge, understanding desirable.
- Product design experience of seat or body hardware latches desirable.
- German and/or Spanish language knowledge desirable.